The quality of a kitchen renovation greatly influences whether a buyer or tenant chooses to purchase, or live in, a property. Cooking and eating in the kitchen is an important part of modern family life.
Many people only inspect properties with good quality kitchens because they believe the renovation work is too expensive or too difficult. But, this is not always true.
To get the best deal, make sure the estimated kitchen renovation cost is lower than the savings made from the reduced sale price.
Below are nine cost-saving tips to help you renovate your kitchen on a budget, without comprising too much on quality. I’ve learnt all these tips from successfully renovating four kitchens in each of my properties.
Kitchen renovation on a budget
Fore mostly, always use the best quality materials within your budget. The kitchen is a high usage area so the materials used must last for the longest possible time. This reduces future repair costs.
- Buy an induction cooktop. They are earlier to clean and look modern. A renovated kitchen always looks outdated with an old cooktop.
- Ensure the kitchen bench is made of a material that does not get heat stains or burn marks from hot pots and pans.
- If you cannot afford to replace the cupboards, replace the handles. Minimalist handles refresh the look of the cupboards, at a fraction of the price.
- If the kitchen is small, add shelves on the wall or hang large pots and pans from the ceiling. This creates more storage space.
- Replace the sink faucet and taps with one that has a modern design. There is also no need to replace the sink; simply bleach it for a renewed shine.
- It’s cheaper to paint over splash-back tiles instead of re-tiling. But, bare in mind, paint eventually comes off so only paint tiles in areas not excessively exposed to spills and water.
- Replacing the electric socket plug covers with ones that are metallic, makes the kitchen look more modern and ‘high tech’.
- You do not need to replace the entire kitchen ceiling light lamp and fittings. A new ambience and character for the kitchen is achieved by replacing the light bulb to one with a different brightness and / or shape.
- Ask a builder to buy the materials for your kitchen renovation. Builders have accounts with ‘trade-only’ kitchen suppliers that offer greater discounts than retail stores.
So, what are your kitchen renovation tips?
Sign up for weekly property tips